Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Passover Survival Guide

So we are all many days deep into Passover 2009 and I have one thing to say: I'm really hungry! I don't know what changed between last year's passover and now but I must eat a lot more carbs because losing all of them from my diet has left me starving. In light of my growling belly, I wanted to put a few words to how I plan to survive the end of this Passover season.

1. Matzah Recipes
I am sure no one is surprised that I am suggesting that you use Matzah in replace of bread but I still want to point out three of my favorite Matzah recipes. First, Matzah Pizza! As you can see, this pizza pie looks very appetizing and it even has a website.

Second, Peanut Butter and Matzah! Basically you take your favorite peanut butter and jelly and smear it between two giant cardboard crackers. Watch out for salmonella though!!

Third, Matzah and hummus! This really is the most normal thing on the entire list. Especially when you consider my daily intake of hummus during the non-passover parts of the year.


2. Vegetables

Not all surprisingly these are good for passover and will be making up 90% of what I eat for the next four days. This is not great cause I get sick of veggies quick. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.


3. Coffee

Although this sounds really bad, drink enough coffee and you won't be as hungry. Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that anyone do this I am just saying I will be doing this!


4. Matzah Ball Soup

A classic Jew dish. If it didn't make my list what kind of Jew would I be? Besides Mommy Bowen sent me home with enough matzah ball soup goodness to get me though the long Passover season. Yummmm!

5. Rice (optional?)

I just found out that some people don't eat rice for Passover. This boggles my mind so I am going to eat rice anyway. Besides, this way I can still get Chipotle and be good with the Big Guy.

Do you have any time-tested Passover Survival Tips? Let us know in the comments below.

Shalom,

Kevin

2 comments:

  1. Here's my Bubbe's special Passover macaroon recipe:

    1. Open can.
    2. Serve.
    3. Eat.

    See

    http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/moses-and-macaroons/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, your posts take the cake. Or, rather, the matzah. Thanks for helping make my holiday awesome with this blog post.

    I have a survival tip. Not everyone will be able to take advantage, but I'll share anyway.

    1. Have your birthday during Passover (you would think this would suck, but...)
    2. Have awesome students, including the best student intern EVER.
    3. Treat them well enough that they somehow are inspired to make you K for P chocolate cupcakes. With buttercream icing. From scratch. At midnight.
    4. Eat two for lunch. Revel in their deliciousness.
    5. Cry at the thought of having future birthdays that are NOT on Passover.

    (Thanks, Caroline and Elle.)

    ReplyDelete